Apology > "I'm sorry"

A few months ago some people gave me an appointment and never came or apologized for not coming. A few days later they come and want to have their appointment on that day. I complain to them about not coming the other day and never apologizing for it, and one of them replies saying "I'm sorry". I don't know if the problem is mine, if I haven't used the right words or with them for misunderstanding me. Because this isn't what I meant, at all. If someone gives an appointment and never shows up then they shouldn't just come beg for my forgiveness, it's not like I said this for the fun of someone begging and pleading for me to forgive them. What I meant by apology is getting in contact with me as soon as possible and giving me a good excuse for not showing up, maybe adding the magic words "I'm sorry" then asking for another appointment.

"I am sorry", these three words could be simply meaningless. Especially that many people say them without feeling sincerely sorry. Apology is different, and differs from one situation to another. In that simple example I didn't need anything more than that very easy, yet respectable apology, in other situations it might be more complicated. But never ever is it a simple "I'm sorry".

Apologies usually involve breaking promises, which is in itself a huge problem. So an apology should be an explanation for why the promise was broken, or at least a way to prove that the person regrets breaking the promise. Because if it's otherwise, then one shouldn't even apologize.Apologies vary with the mistakes, but the one thing all apologies should have in common is that the person should show that they really really mean it. And that doesn't happen by saying I'm sorry.

If you apologize everyday, then please know that something is wrong with you. Either you're apologizing to a wrong person, and by that, I mean in a love relationship, friendship or work relationship with the wrong person. Simply, you two might not be compatible. Or you might take the world "apology" for granted, hence you just say it without even meaning it. It would be just a word to get on with your life and forget about things. That would make you a hypocrite. And of course you might be living an awful life, not in connection with your morals, doing all the wrong things and then regretting it or getting in a situation where you have to apologize to get things over with. In all cases, you have to fix things, you can't live your life apologizing everyday. You'd be a very unhappy, hypocrite type of person with very low self confidence. The point is that, only apologize if you mean it, and live a life where that happens only rarely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Legend of Osiris, Moral of the Legend

Who Voted for Shafiq?

Egypt Uprising 2013: One Last Push